Studio Renovations Part 2

The studio is officially done (give or take some furniture) and Matt and I have been using it for about 2 months now. It was a pretty slow process but it sped up once we hired a crew to get things going. 

The last step in the studio's progress I wrote about was putting up the drywall. Underneath the drywall we used insulation and we layered the drywall with green glue sound proofing to get the most sound isolation we could. This is, after all, my house with my living room directly below the studio so all the sound proofing we could get would be invited. 

So with that done, it was time to cover up the corners, use mud to level out the walls and cover the edges of the drywall and add texture. 

Me holding my baby and speaking to a contractor. You can see the corners and drywall ends have been leveled using the mud.

Me holding my baby and speaking to a contractor. You can see the corners and drywall ends have been leveled using the mud.

Texture and paint have been added to make it a seamless room. 

Texture and paint have been added to make it a seamless room. 

With that done it was time to tackle the floors. We decided to use an engineered wood floor since it was the closest to actual hardwood we could find and it looks pretty awesome too. Before laying down the wood, we laid down a layer of rubber underlayment who's purpose is to dampen and absorb impact noise (such as footsteps) and airborne noise (such as audio coming from my speakers). We didn't get the thickest underlayment and we didn't get the thinnest, we got the middle-of-the-line one. 

Underlayment rubber-side-down. 

Underlayment rubber-side-down. 

Now you can start laying down the wood floor. 

The room is finally starting to look like a room with the wood floor!

The room is finally starting to look like a room with the wood floor!

My dog Finn and an almost completed room. 

My dog Finn and an almost completed room. 

Once the wood floor was completed, I was finally able to start moving in my gear. 

Moving in!

Moving in!

With everything finished, the very last step was the dreaded wood wall. My wife and I started it and my farther-in-law finished it for us since he did so much work on the room anyway. Once it was finished, you couldn't help but think it was all worth it. 

Wood wall is finished! 

Wood wall is finished! 

This space is the perfect space for creatives. Matt and I have composed a lot of music here and we're showing no signs of slowing down. We have a short film that we're going to work on soon, a short promo video, and we constantly add to our library and the well of ideas is not drying up at all. To think the room used to look like this: 

Typical cookie-cutter game room. 

Typical cookie-cutter game room. 

And now, with some DIY acoustic panels on the ceiling, this room is a great, inspiring space where I plan to, along with Matt, make a TON of music. 

The studio as of June 27, 2016

The studio as of June 27, 2016

While there are still some things we need to add to the room like furniture, bookshelves and guitar hangers for the wall, this room is done and I couldn't be happier with it. Matt and I always look forward to composing in this studio and we completely lose ourselves in our craft once we're in here.