Studio Renovations Part 1
We're currently renovating our new studio space and it's been a pretty smooth, albeit slow, process. My wife and I purchased a home last month with the understanding that I get the entire upstairs game room as my studio and she gets to renovate the kitchen however she sees fit. Pretty fair I'd say. So this is what the room looked like prior to any renovating:
The room is about 500 square feet with a pretty low ceiling (about 8 ft) with three windows (which may be problematic in the acoustics category), old carpet and a slanted ceiling near the entrance. The plans for the room are to install wood floors, a booth, close off the entire room doubling up on the dry wall while using green glue between the layers and install a wood wall using reclaimed wood. Once the room is complete, I'll install acoustic treatment like bass traps, diffusers, foam, thick curtains for the windows and gobos. The first step, of course, is to remove all of the carpet and frame out the room with wood studs.
We'll also frame out the booth and install a door.
With the frame, we were able to install the dry wall, doubling up on it from the inside.
There's a still a bit of drywall to go especially since we're doubling up on it. We managed to finish the dry wall to the entrance as well.
The entrance will eventually have a sliding barn door once the walls are textured. You can see that our makeshift studio is right beside the entrance.
We're making great progress with the framing and drywall. Once that's complete, we'll put in the electrical, a new ceiling fan, wood floors and a fresh coat of paint. During all of this, I'm compiling pallets and breaking them down to use the wood for the far wall.
Breaking down pallets is no easy feat, let me tell you! Using a hammer, chisel, and a reciprocating saw, I was able to successfully break down several pallets to use for the wall. But I had to go through several blades, one of which broke off and hit me right under my right eye. It left a narly cut but I can still see, so I guess I shouldn't complain too hard. The other difficulty with pallets is actually finding them. I have no idea how legal it is to go behind a business and just take them but that's exactly what I did. I would have to drive to several businesses just to see if they had any. I fit as many as I could into my truck, trying to be as sneaky as I could and would drive home carefully since I didn't always tie them down. (I know, that's irresponsible of me, but I had so many pallets and didn't have enough ties!)
So you break them down, keep all the usable wood, throw out anything else and then you paint them. The spray paint I used really gave the wood a used, rustic look and it was perfect. After that, you screw them to the wall trying to be as artistic as you can in your placement. I, unfortunately, have no type of creative eye especially for this kind of thing so my wife, Kristi, is lending a hand and I think it's looking very awesome so far.
This wood wall is by far the hardest part of the project. I don't anticipate this wall will do much for the acoustic properties of the room, but wood does add a little color to the sound (that's why violins and guitars are made of wood!)
I'll keep writing about the renovations and keep you posted on the project as time progresses. I don't anticipate this project going past April but you never know! In any case, the progress alone has me giddy! I can't imagine the feeling I'll get once this room is done! We have so many plans for the studio so we want it to be a space that inspires creativity. I think we're on the right track!